Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A once in a lifetime experience, that still continues to change my life!


Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership (HOBY) can be described in one word and one word only: magical. Go ahead laugh, you probably think I am crazy, but I promise I'm not! I have been a part of HOBY for five years now - one year as an ambassador and four years as a facilitator. (These pictures don't do HOBY justice, but they'll just have to do.)

Before I go on, I guess I should enlighten you on what HOBY is exactly. This organization is for high school sophomores going into their junior year. HOBY is a three day seminar during the summer that allows teens to learn more about themselves as a leader and the capabilities they have to change their lives, school, community and society as a whole.

Comets was my group! Our theme this year was space!

I had the opportunity to facilitate an amazing
group of people!


During the weekend ambassadors are challenged through activities on how they view themselves and others from all around the world. This experience changed my life as an incoming junior in high school and still continues to change my life each day. I cannot express how much these types of leadership seminars should be valued in our schools. HOBY along with multiple other leadership opportunities are what allow students to go out and gain the confidence and skills to do great things, big or small. 


This was the set up for our reflections.
Everyone takes a candle and puts it
on the the city they're from.
Most of the 'locals' and me. I love coming
back each year with these people!
Left to right - Erin, me, Alex, Taylor
Gabe (left) and Alex (right) are some of the coolest dudes ever.
I can't believe how lucky I am to have people like this in my life.

The last night! We had so much fun dancing!


2 comments:

  1. How OUTSTANDING is this blog!!! Just terrific, Rachel. I'm sure it's how every single one of us, ambassadors and facilitators, feel. Thank you for doing this, you should be the spokesman who goes to the different colleges to recruit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're just too sweet :) Maybe someday HOBY MO will allow this crazy girl a chance to speak to high school students about the organization. :D

    ReplyDelete