Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Try Something New! :D

I hope you all have been doing well and preparing for the holiday season ahead of us!  Thanksgiving is in less than two days, can you believe it?! Christmas will be here sooner than we know it, which means I'm even closer to my trip to Europe! :)

I've done a few things here and there and have yet to share them with you. I have finally checked two things off of my DIY list....

1: Butternut Squash Soup
2: Homemade Tool Tutu

I love butternut squash soup, but anytime I order it at a restaurant it is loaded up with sugar and salt and other unnecessary ingredients. So, I took it upon myself to make my own semi-healthy version of this deliciousness! The recipe is very simple and easy and inexpensive! Win, win, win!

Ingredients:

1 butternut squash
2 cups vegetable broth (any broth works)
1 onion (medium sized, red or white)
1 t ground nutmeg
1 t ground cinnamon
Salt - to taste
Pepper - to taste

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut squash in half and place face down into the baking dish. Bake for for about an hour, until tender. After the squash is done, peel the skin of with a fork (it should be easy to remove.) Cut the squash and onion into chunks. Bring the squash, onions and broth to a boil.

After ingredients have been boiled, place everything into a blender. Puree ingredients until you get the desired texture or until smooth. Place in your finest china, serve and enjoy! :)

*Take note, this is a recipe that can be modified to your liking, so have fun with it!*

So good! <3


I finally made an adorable no-sew tutu skirt made of tool! I may only be 21, but no one is ever too old for a tutu. Am I right or am I right?? :) I finally had a reason to make one for my Halloween costume this year. -- I was Minnie Mouse. :) I was planning on buying one and then realized how expensive it would be for something I'd only be wearing probably one time. Check out my easy how to below:

Materials Needed:

6 yards of tool (Any color)
Elastic band (Big enough for your waist)
2 safety pins
White paper
Scissors
White paper
Hot glue gun/glue


Instructions:

Cut the tool into strips. Mine were 1 inch wide and roughly 2 feet long. Keep in mind, not everyone is the same height, so cut them to your desired length. Additionally, you will essentially be "doubling" these strips so don't make them too short! (It sounds confusing, I'll explain further below.)

Place your elastic band around the back side of a chair (I used a small ladder) and tie it in a knot. This will allow both your hands to be free and you won't be struggling to keep the elastic from going crazy. The next step is a tad confusing. Refer to the picture below:



In the end, your tool should be tight and look like this....


This entire process takes quite awhile, so be patient. Make sure to turn some tunes on or watch TV while doing this. It will make the process go by much faster.

After all the tool is on, untie the knot and pin the safety pins in the desired place on the band. (I used two just in case.) You want the tutu to be somewhat tight, but it's okay for it to be a little loose. Keep in mind, it is elastic so putting it on and taking it off is easy regardless!

This next part is specifically for the costume I chose. I used a coffee cup to outline my circle and cut away! I then hot glued them all over the tutu. On a side note, the mouse ears and tail were already purchased from prior Halloweens, I just glued ribbon on them!



Here's the finished product! Super easy and super simple. Minnie Mouse is always a crowd pleaser, plus I had lots of fun in making my costume instead of buying an overpriced one!




No comments:

Post a Comment